X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wt. Distribution Trailer Hitch

For those of you that haul your car, do you use a weight distribution hitch? I have a Class IV hitch on my 05 Expedition 4WD and am being told I may need to consider a WD hitch. Trailer and car will come to 5680 lbs. Is there a general rule of thumb on when you reach a certain GTW that you need a WD hitch? Trying to plan and prepare for upcoming track trips.
    sigpic
    You should never take life so seriously that you forget to play
    USA Retired
    NASA GL

I have pulled trailers most of my life. 6K isn't extreme but it's enough that you'll know it's back there. The biggest issue is getting the tongue weight correct on the trailer. Too much and it squats the back of your tow vehicle, too little and you run the risk of fishtailing at speed. I think the Class IV hitch is plenty but I would recommend either getting an extra leaf spring added to the rear springs or else installing a set of air bags. That way you can have enough tongue weight to pull the trailer safely without throwing the truck suspension all out of whack. A 6K trailer ideally needs about 700-800 lbs of tongue weight if you're pulling it at highway speeds.

Comment

Randy...I am using one on my pickup and flatbed trailer that hauls the Mustang. I would HIGHLY recommend using one. It only adds a minute or two at hookup, but the rewards of having your trailer pulling level and smoothly when loaded, makes up for the small amount of extra time it takes when attaching the trailer.
      Life is a risk....just how much of a risk is up to you!

07 Mustang Premium Coupe

Built and Powered by Ford...made awesome by Roush!

Comment

Thanks Dave & skwerl. My common sense is saying I should probably go the WD hitch route, just to be sure everything is safe.
        sigpic
        USA Retired
        NASA GL

Comment

I like it because it makes for a smoother ride. It takes some playing around getting the car in the right position on the trailer and the tension on the torsion bars setup but hit a bump and the trailer just comes back up to neutral. It greatly reduces the back end oscillating up and down.

Comment

I haven't yet but have been researching'em for the past two months or so. I think I'm going to go with Blue Ox's WD w/4 point sway control. The nice thing about their set up is the lubrication is 'self contained' and if you go to a heavier set up you just have to buy new spring bars.
            Ryan
            '08 427R TrakPak #68
            - JLT CAI, Tuned by Performance Autosport, Maximum Motorsport 4pt Rollbar w/5pt Harness
            '06 Ford F-250 FX4 PSD
            - Studded, GearHead Tuned, MBRP Turboback 4" Exhaust, Sinister Coolant Filter, Isspro Gauges, Edge Insight w/Pyro

Comment

I have no clue as to which one to get, so many to consider. Going to a Trailer Sales biz this weekend, think they'll carry some and see what they recommend. Local U-Haul biz in town doesn't carry them.
              sigpic
              USA Retired
              NASA GL

Comment

Randy,

I believe Reese makes a good one. I can't remember the brand name on the one I have, but will try to remember to look tomorrow and then post it here for you. I like the one I have...well built and should last a lifetime. I know they come in different size ratings....your trailer sales guys should be able to help recommend which one you'll need. I think I went with the HD version....just because.
                Life is a risk....just how much of a risk is up to you!

07 Mustang Premium Coupe

Built and Powered by Ford...made awesome by Roush!

Comment

When I bought my last trailer (32 ft Vintage-Millineum) they didn't have the WD arms (DrawTite) when we went up to Indiana to pick up. Even with no car, it was scary driving home. You can adjust chain to whatever is level. I have 3 links showing with no load, 4 with the car.
                  Mine is black.
                  [img]
                  sigpicDave Hester
                  SCCA, MCA, ROEA, RRC #087
                  www.rheacermotorsports.com

Comment

Check out etrailer.com they have lots of info and different models. I've used them over the years for my trailer parts. Always great service.
                    Ryan
                    '08 427R TrakPak #68
                    - JLT CAI, Tuned by Performance Autosport, Maximum Motorsport 4pt Rollbar w/5pt Harness
                    '06 Ford F-250 FX4 PSD
                    - Studded, GearHead Tuned, MBRP Turboback 4" Exhaust, Sinister Coolant Filter, Isspro Gauges, Edge Insight w/Pyro

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I know you've mentioned etrailer.com before and after looking on the site again, looks like the Pro Series WD will meet my needs. Now big question for all of you. What TW should I go for? I have no idea what my TW is on my current IV class hitch, label wore off long time ago. Am I safe in assuming a 800lb TW is correct? I don't believe I'd want any more than 500-800 lbs on the tongue anyway, yes?
                      sigpic
                      USA Retired
                      NASA GL

Comment

Originally posted by pikapp View Post
                        Thanks Ryan. I know you've mentioned etrailer.com before and after looking on the site again, looks like the Pro Series WD will meet my needs. Now big question for all of you. What TW should I go for? I have no idea what my TW is on my current IV class hitch, label wore off long time ago. Am I safe in assuming a 800lb TW is correct? I don't believe I'd want any more than 500-800 lbs on the tongue anyway, yes?
                        I've been trying to figure that out myself as well. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and weigh the damn thing. I'll probably use the bathroom scale method that's listed here. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
                        Ryan
                        '08 427R TrakPak #68
                        '06 Ford F-250 FX4 PSD

Comment

After some research on determining TW, I've come to the conclusion that I need a WD hitch with a TW between 600-1200 lbs. Temporary trailer (u-haul) weighs in at 2200 lbs and Roush weighs 3680. Take 15% of that total weight comes to 882 TW +-. So....looks like the Reese 12,000GTW. 1200 TW model 66155 is what I need to be looking at. Sent in a question on this to Reese on their web site to confirm my findings. Once they reply, I'll know what I need to purchase. Plus, I need a WD hitch that is electric and surge brake compatible, till I get my own trailer.
                          sigpic
                          USA Retired
                          NASA GL

Comment

Working...
                          X